Tuesday, September 3, 2013

I'll Follow You Into the Stars


      I am starring at my shoes in the ICU. There poorly tied due to the time rushing before my eyes and they uncoordinate with my pajamas. I hear a faint sound of the television entertaining itself. I glance around the room and see more eyes starring at the cracks on the tiles. I imagine the little boy I see swears to himself to never step on a crack again for mommy's sake. I imagine the pacers I see promise to never walk away for their loves sake. I imagine the patient in 409 taking a long breath without another to follow. With that, I ration my breaths and presume that I have already taken too many today.

      The room reeks of disease, distress, and goodbyes, but with my quite breaths I hear steps. My whole body tenses up. The doctor comes around the corner and everyone draws up their heads. Before the doctor speaks the pacers stop, the breaths stop, the regrets stop and I flashback to what Anna said. Time came back into place and I sprint out of my chair pushing the doctor out of the way. I frantically race to her room and murmur what Anna said. “Don't lose hope when the sun goes down, because then the stars come out.”

      Who is going to be there to see you glisten in the stars?


by sarah libassi

No comments:

Post a Comment